From:
Kristen Harbeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 17:09:29 EST
My question is what the breakdown is between men and women on the boards of
directors in museums, as well as the percentage of women in executive director
positions.   I have anecdotal evidence, but I would like to see a formal study
done of gender relations in fields like museums.

My observation is that the majority of people working in museums are women,
whereas the majority of directors and boardmembers are men.   That the jobs
which are more commonly held by men tend to be better paid than those still
predominantly held by women. (curators v. educators, for example.) From what I have
seen, although there are certainly women heading large museums and I would
never want to dismiss their significant accomplisment, most female directors are
in smaller institutions. I do not place big museums as superior in any way to
small museums, and myself am committed to the smalls, but the bigger the
museum, (again generalizing) the bigger the paycheck for the exec. directors.

These observations are only anecdotal, and based on my own experience and
observations, and I am certainly aware of exceptions to these rules.

I am very interested, however, in this subject and would like to know of any
formal studies that have been done that either support or disprove these
hypotheses based on limited observations.

Kristen