From:
Bronwen Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2017 09:34:59 -0400
Elena,
Could you ask volunteers to do the original sort for you?  And then recruit
those volunteers from your local VFW or Legion? Veterans would have a
better understanding of military gear.  Do you have clear written
parameters for what you except and why (above and beyond what is on your
website)? We used to have drop offs (and by that I mean bundles left by the
back door when no one was here) but that stopped when the museum hired
staff and it became known that we wanted to know the story behind the item.

We certainly don't get the volume of donations that you get - but our
process is staff member (me) does the original sort, it goes to the
collections committee which is made up of board members, local volunteers
(one is retired museum person, one is retired auctioneer, a third is local
historian) and me (but I have no vote on the committee).  If the committee
approves the item it goes to the full board for a vote.  Committee only
meets three/four times a year, so the board gets a number of items at once.

Bronwen Anderson-Sanders  (For once not jealous of bigger institutions!)
Mifflinburg Buggy Museum
598 Green Street, Mifflinburg, PA 17844
570.966.1355
Follow our PATH on Facebook!