From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 00:22:38 +0000
We don't offer "Museum Studies" in the curatorial sense, but we do have
PhDs by research across all main areas of museum/gallery /heritage policy
and management (as with as arts/cultural policy and management and
Critical Studies).

We currently have over 40 PhD students (the majority part-time while
working in the professions or university education) among a total of
around 180  postgraduate students (including those on our taught Masters
and Postgraduate Diploma courses), originating from around 30 countries in
a typical year.

Within the museum and related fields current doctoral research includes
topics as diverse as contemporary art acquisition policy and practice,
ethical issues, such as claims for return of human remains or the recovery
of war-loot, museological theory, including the origins of "nouvelle
museologie" and ecomuseums, professional issues, such as the emergence of
the curatorial profession and training in Korea, and the prospects for the
economic exploitation by museums of their information resources via the
internet etc.

Please check out the Departmental information on our web site:

        http://www.city.ac.uk/artspol/

(We have a detailed document there on research degrees).

Patrick J. Boylan
(Professor of Heritage Policy and Management)

City University, Frobisher Crescent, Barbican, London EC2Y 8HB, UK;
phone: +44-171-477.8750, fax:+44-171-477.8887;
Home: "The Deepings", Gun Lane, Knebworth, Herts. SG3 6BJ, UK;
phone & fax: +44-1438-812.658;
E-mail: [log in to unmask];  Web site: http://www.city.ac.uk/artspol/