From:
Marissa Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:41:04 -0400
Hi Sammy,

I would suggest using the material Fosshape to create a mount.  Its an
inert fabric that under heat/steam will conform to an underlining
substrate.  We used it here at the TMA for a different purpose
(http://www.conservation-us.org/docs/default-source/annualmeeting/2014am_poster39_the_humming_birds.pdf?sfvrsn=2)
but the link has information about how to construct the mount.  The
material is fairly cost effective and can be used in invisible costume
mounting as well.  As for display, I would definitely try to keep the
hats under a vitrine to keep the dirt/dust from settling on the hats.
Also, try to keep the hat from direct sunlight.  Typically textiles are
rotated from view after 3-6 months because of light exposure, but I know
that can be difficult with smaller institutions.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me at the email listed below if
you have any other questions and I'll try to help! Good luck!

Marissa Stevenson

Conservation Intern
Toledo Museum of Art
2445 Monroe St.
Toledo, OH  43620

>>> Samantha Smith <[log in to unmask]> 10/29/2014 10:39 AM >>>
Hello,

I'm looking to see if anyone has information on ways to display
historic hats. I am the director of a small 1820-1970s home and we are
trying to open up a sewing room for next spring. We have numerous
gorgeous hats from the women who lived in the house (I would say dating
from the early 1900s, but we are still dating them), which we would like
to display in the sewing room. The room is very small and has a slanted
ceiling, which makes displaying things difficult. Does anyone have any
suggestions on what might work best for displaying these hats? For
looks, I would love to be able to have a hat stand, but a normal one
would end up harming some of the hats.

As I said, the room is small. We already have two Singer sewing
machines, and a small drawer set with a mirror, which it would be
possible to display some on that. However, there is not room to put a
display case or anything else in there.

Thanks for your input!

Sammy Kay

--

Samantha Kay Smith
Director

Join TMA Nov. 5-8 for the International Visual Literacy Association
Conference.  Learn more about Visual Literacy at www.vislit.org

This message is a private communication.  It may contain information
that is privileged or confidential.  Please do not copy or disclose it
to others.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, and then
delete it and any attachments from your system.  Thank you.