From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:03:18 -0700
Stephanie,

In addition to Marc's excellent explanation I wanted to add one caveat.

Just because you filter out most of the UV or use a light source where it is
not present does not mean that you can relax conservation and museum
lighting standards. All light contains energy that can still fade and
deteriorate sensitive art and historic objects. You still need to monitor
light levels and to keep the total amount and duration of light controlled
for paintings, prints, paper, photos, textiles, wood, and so on,

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator