From:
James Schulte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:58:34 -0400
    If I recall in my  travels there are war museums all over this world we live in.  The most recent and several adjoining postings have been about museums in Iraq, and the looting and ignorance of this, and the government of Great Britain to protect what was within them. Is this not a topic about museums? I'll bet you sweet ass this is. I'll also bet pictures, weapons, uniforms etc end up in a museum in the United States or elsewhere in years to come. The controversy we go through here as intellects will go on then as well.Do we just hide the truth? Soldiers kill, soldiers are killed, some did it  for kicks like it or not.Some soldiers raped others mutilated. Is that what the world is coming to. Military figures in here disagree, they call me unpatriotic, insensitive etc. Well let me tell you something. I personally live 1.5 hours away from Washington Dc and NYC. Our town was a war zone within itself. Imagine going outside and the only sights you see in the air are military planes. Imagine driving on the road and all you see are army vehicles. This wasn't caused by Not one Iraqi citizen as our President has told us, but by a lunatic group not even associated with Iraq.But one of the President's reasons was because the were assisting the terrorist lunatics who attacked the twin towers. Then he claimed we needed to attack because Saddam was building weapons of mass destructions, and cannot come up with one. He also claimed the Iraqi government was utilizing portable labs exclusively being used to create biological weapons, and has found no proof. Then this week he had claimed the Iraqi Government was purchasing uranium from Niger which he supported from forged documents. Another claim proving to be false. Mind you I like many believe Saddam needed to go, but not by lying. Now here are a few acts. The only outfit the government found supporting Al Quieda was in Northern Iraq amongst the Kurds, interestingly enough we were protecting( they were in the no fly zone) Our country claimed this invasion wasn't about oil, but when it came to protecting buildings we protected the Oil Ministry building over all others. The museum, library and other important historical buildings were ignored and allowed to be looted. The president was aware of these buildings and several on the commission resigned in protest over not only his arrogance, but his ignorance as well.
    All while this president lied to his people many of us became unemployed, others lost jobs to corporate corruption, and lastly many were added to the welfare lines in numbers not seen since his father was in office.If we can send millions upon billions  of our hard earned tax dollars to Iraq, why not keep it here and let it work for our own people? Billions of dollars are spent annually finding new ways to kill   one another, I say put it where it should be going, the people who live here. Is that to hard to imagine?How many of you out there experienced cuts in funding due to state cutbacks in hard times? Wouldn't this money have helped solve your problems? But no we have to give $25 million dollars to see if we did the job right and another $ 15 million to see if we knocked off his boys. I find this appalling.But when your not using your money , but the money of others it's easy to do. Typical republican philosophy.
    As for Museums, this was an appropriate topic, and will continue to be, if its not lets close down all museums associated with war.  Open your minds don't be so narrow-minded, broaden your intellect. The whole picture unfortunately is not what we ever want to see.I for one say any topic is appropriate whether some like it or not, eventually it all becomes history and isn't history what some of us are about? NOW ON A LIGHTER NOTE: OXYMORON OF THE WEEK HAS TO BE .......MILITARY INTELLIGENCE
James T. Schulte
South Jersey Historian
43 Nottingham Rd
Pennsville NJ 08070
856-678-2230
"Making South Jersey History come to life"