From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:20:34 -0500
I would advise extreme caution with this idea. While I see no harm in
collecting oral histories from donors and making them part of a collection
(one criteria for selecting interview subjects is as arbitrary as another) I
do have a problem in terms of cost. I don't know what the going rate for
interviewing and transcribing interviews is in Georgia, but in our neck of
the woods it is $20+ per hour. Five hours of interview would cost $100. In
addition, I have found that transcribing a taped interview runs
approximately five to seven hours per hour of interview. This would mean an
additional 25-35 hours of cost, or $500-$700 in cost (I am not counting
accessioning costs, etc.) In short the VALUE of the gift would be in the
neighborhood of $600-$800. This value would be non-tax deductible to the
donor. In short, too much time and expense for the range of donors
suggested. I would not have problems of giving such a benefit to a $10,000
donor, or would cut the interview to no more than one-half hour for a $1,000
donor ($60 cost).
nburlakoff