From:
John Suau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:16:15 -0400
At the AAM annual meeting in Baltimore, MD, 2000 there was a session called
"Confronting Slavery" with the following description:

Chair: Catherine Hughes, Executive Director, International Museum Theatre
Alliance, Boston, MA
Panelists: Christy Matthews, Director of Operations, Colonial Williamsburg,
Williamsburg, VA; Marcel Riddick, Manager of Interpretation, Conner Prairie,
Fishers, IN
Several recent museum programs have successfully confronted difficult issues
through the use of theatre, avoiding protest and gaining support. This
session will focus on two examples: Colonial Williamsburg's "Enslaving
Virginia" and Conner Prairie's "Follow the North Star." Participants will
experience live selections from the programs and learn how these
institutions were able to accomplish their success.
Sponsored by the International Museum Theatre Alliance. Cosponsored by the
Association of African American Museums and the AAM Diversity Coalition.

You can purchase the session audio tape by visiting the following web link:
http://www.cavc.com/orders/aam/Aam2000.html and submitting your request to
Chesapeake Audio.

Hope this helps!

John T. Suau, Manager
Meetings, Professional Education and Diversity
American Association of Museums
1575 Eye Street, NW - Suite 400
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 218-7676 (t)