From:
Dave Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 18:13:13 -0700
I am working on the proposal for the Quinault National Museum (tenative
final title).  I have several questions since I am at the beginning
stages of putting all the elements together for the initial project
requirements.  While I have some very basic information on formulating
the necessities for collections care, I have no hands on experience.  I
do have administrative background.

The project should have a mulitmedia language/culture instruction program
that will include video clips, random access, bilingual text, and sound
capabilities.  There will be at least two machines, one for end-users an
Mone for authoring.  I would like to know how others have solved this sort
of problem and what sorts of costs have been encountered.

I am also looking for computer programs that will allow registration and
collections tracking.  This should also be able to link the object
information with the documents that support it.  With this system will
also be a visual collection of items (and their supporting documents)
held by other museums that relate directly to the Quinault.  Since much
of the collection will be ethnocultural materials, photographs, sound and
video tapes, works on paper (books, drawings, ms, letters and so forth)
there has to be some flexibility in the system.  I am hopeful that the
visual documents of other museums Quinault holdings, will allow us to be
able to give a more complete picture of Quinault workmanship and culture.

My last question entails environmental controls and collection
protection.  Since we are in a coastal area and have the salt air as a
factor, it would seem that we would have some additional requirements
than most museums.  How do I go about resolving the environmental
controls for the museum?  Are there specific companies that deal with
such endeavours?

Comments, advice and guidance are greatly appreciated.  I am trying to do
the best job I can to ensure the continuance of the collection, the
museum's interaction with the community and its educational mission to
build community, and to provide language/culture instruction.

Thank you
Dave Wells
Director
Quinault National Museum Project