From:
Denny Adcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 15:01:55 -0500
Although not my area of expertise, I do recall my grand father making whips
by cutting hickory small hickory saplings, peeling the bark back for the
desired length and cutting the inner wood part off from what would be the
handle.  The remaining wood bark could be braided and with a leather and
cotton string "cracker" on the end made a very effective whip for driving
cattle, etc.  He was a middle Tennessean but I suspect this was not an
unheard of Southern Appalachian piece to make.