From:
Dan Schoeneberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 15:58:21 -0500
At Conner Prairie we do several programs that focus on 4th and 5th grade, and do target specific subjects (Above and beyond our spring and fall school tour season.) There is a school version of our Follow the North Star program where students take on the role of fugitive slaves trying to find their way to freedom. The hour and a half program takes them through a specific route, and includes encounters with a variety of different people who either help or hinder their journey. (There is also a night time, adult version of the program that is more intense.)

We also have numerous Distance Learning programs that focus on a wide range of topics including meeting specific characters (such as an 1836 era doctor, an 1886 era temperance speaker, etc.) as well as a distance learning adaptation of another of what we term "immersion history" programs called the Fall Creek Massacre Trial (i.e.-these immersion history programs include our Follow the North Star program, Weekend on the Farm program, and Mystery on the Prairie program). Students take on the role of a member of a jury recreating the actual historic trial of a white man accused of killing a Native American (This was the first time in Indiana history that such a trial took place.)

At any rate, there are fees incurred for these programs, and some (such as the North Star program) require training that the teachers also need to go through.)

For more information you can check out our website at www.connerprairie.org

Good luck!

Dan Schoeneberg

Dan Schoeneberg
Historic Area Manager
1886 Liberty Corner
13400 Allisonville Road
Fishers, Indiana
46038
www.connerprairie.org
www.whiteriverfolkfestival.org
www.ruralhistoryproject.org

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/18/04 03:42PM >>>
> Has anyone presented a package to museums on living history programs or
> specific subjects to  4th & 5th grade classes?  Do you charge a fee for
> staff or volunteers to put on such a program.  How long do the
> presentations last?   Do you have samples of brochures about such a
> program?  Thanks in advance.
>
> John

I don't know if this is quite what you're interested in, but the Ohio
Historical Society is developing a series of hands-on programs for
elementary students and they field-tested the Underground Railroad one at my
site (John Rankin House) last week.  OHS staff and members of our local
historical   society played the parts of:  Rev. Rankin, Mrs. Rankin, John
Parker (an African American UGRR conductor), a fugitive and a federal
marshall.  Fourth graders from our local public and Catholic school had the
opportunity to meet these historical  figures and to role-play fugitives and
free blacks who  wanted to emigrate to  Ohio.   I am not  actually an  OHS
employee; rather,  I'm  employed by our local historical  society, so I
don't know  a great deal about their plans, but you can  go   to
www.ohiohistory.org and probably find out more.

Susannah West
John Rankin House, Ripley, OH