From:
Dan Schoeneberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:06:48 -0500
I am coming in late on this thread, but speaking from my own base of experience- I went through a museum studies type program (actually Historic Preservation- Southeast Missouri State University- first shameless plug of an email...) :) that specialized pretty early on- and I found that it actually helped me in the field- really from the standpoint of knowing what I wanted, or didn't want to do in the museum field. I know many of the people who went through with me knew fairly early on that that was something they wanted to study (or realized they didn't want to study it- and changed majors!)

Obviously an M.A. in Museum Studies is further specialization, and actually my M.A. experience (Eastern Illinois University- second shameless plug of the email...last one I promise.) :) was similar to the undergraduate coursework in only certain respects- in that some of the basic concepts were covered in each, and that I had an academic (and some practical) base of knowledge of the field going into graduate work. The differences were much more marked, particularly in such things as critical analysis, depth of study, time table to absorb materials. This is probably no different than any other undergraduate v. graduate course of study though- as graduate work on the whole gravitates towards a more in-depth course of study and specialization. Not better or worse, just different.

The thing though that I found helped me the most was not necessarily focusing early on in museums, but rather the practical experience I gained by volunteering/interning/working seasonally at museums while going through undergraduate/graduate studies. By working, and applying what I was learning through the academic track gave my insight into both what I was interested in and also allowed me to meet people who provided assistance when I looked for full time work later on (and best of all, made some great friends along the way- this is a small field, but a darn good one.)

Anyway, just some thoughts from my own, albeit limited, base of experience. Interesting ideas.

Good luck,

Dan Schoeneberg

Anyway, don't know if that helps- but merely one man's humble opinion.

best of luck.

Dan Schoeneberg
Historic Area Manager
1886 Liberty Corner
13400 Allisonville Road
Fishers, Indiana
46038
www.connerprairie.org
www.whiteriverfolkfestival.org
www.ruralhistoryproject.org

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/03/04 04:01PM >>>
> Why aren't more people utilizing the undergraduate programs that exist?

Rosie,

  Speaking, of course, only for myself, I feel that undergrad programs in museum studies are a case of too much overspecialization too early. Maybe a certificate in museum studies would be appropriate at that stage, but I think a bachelor's should be in a wider field (i.e. in undergrad, you get a degree in history; in grad school, you pick a period in history), such as art history, history, or--in my case--journalism.

  Again, just throwing this out as only my opinion. I'm barely out the door with my own master's degree and am not in a hiring position at any museum. :)

Angélique Weger

----
The University of the Arts, MA candidate in Museum Communication
----
The Baltimore Museum of Art
Celebrating 90 Years
www.artbma.org