From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:44:45 -0400
A couple quick thoughts on cases for textiles.

Exterior lights generally are better than interior.  If you use track as
suggested, consider MR16 bulbs/fixtures.  Get the bulbs that have a heat
filter - most of the heat goes back, not with the light.  MR16s give off
little to no UV.  Of course, you want to keep the total light intensity on
the textiles below 50 lux (5 foot-candles).

Consider glazing the doors with UV-filtering plexiglass.  This will filter
out UV from surrounding fluorescent lights, or if someone decides to switch
lights in the tracks down the road.

Coat/cover ALL surfaces of wood inside the case, including edges/ends of
exposed boards, such as shelves or doors.  I can't comment personally on the
formica as a barrier and as being stable over time.  If you want a paint
barrier, the best would be aluminum flakes in shellac or possibly in a
water-borne acrylic.  You will probably have to make your own, as I am not
aware of an appropriate product off the shelf.  Shellac has pretty good
vapor barrier properties and acrylics have rather poor vapor barrier
properties, so the shellac would make the best paint.  If you don't want to
make your own paint, I would use BIN (Zinsser), which is white pigmented
shellac.  Use 3 coats minimum of any coating.  Thicker is much better than
thin.  Shellac solvent (alcohol) evaporates pretty quickly.  Allow
everything to dry at least 2 weeks and preferably 1 month before use.  If
you go with a mineral spirits (paint thinner) based product, wait at least 1
month and preferably 2 months.

I agree with yellow poplar (liriodendron tulipifera - poplar [cottonwood
family or Populus spp.] is a different wood) over oak.  However, probably
the builder will want to use plywood.  Look for one that is low in urea
formaldehyde (or any other formaldehyde).  Generally, this requires an
exterior-rated product, not an interior rated one.  But my info may be out
of date - any other opinions on this?  They could avoid all of this with
stainless steel cases - don't you think they would be fitting for a
hospital?

Marc Williams

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)