From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:53:20 -0400
Rolling is probably the easiest solution if the map is adequately
strong/flexible.  The larger the diameter, the less the stress.  Also keep
your eyes open for used flat files (map cases) that are oversized.  They
come up every once in a while.  You could have a standing order at the local
used furniture or office equipment vendors.  I know someone who got just
such an item recently for about 1/4 the original cost.  And since the paint
is old, it has long ago stopped off-gassing (be sure the vendor doesn't
spray it with new paint to make it look fresh!).

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)