From:
Laurel Casjens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 10:40:40 MDT
To readers of Museum-L
(cross posted with NHCOLL-L--sorry for any duplication)

We have boxed archaeological collections, including plant and animal
materials, stored in a room in the anthropology building here on
campus.  A proposal has been made to start a dermestic colony in the
room next to our storage area.  This idea makes me VERY nervous.  The
building in old, and not very "tight".  I am worried that we will
soon have dermestids in our collections.  We already have periodic
incursions of dermestids, and are constantly on watch for them with
sticky glue traps.

If any of you have had experince with dermestid colonies, please give
me your input.  Do I have good reason to suggest the colony be placed
elsewhere?  Or is it possible to really contain the little beasts?

Thanks in advance, and All the best for the season.

LaurelLaurel Casjens
Curator of Collections
Utah Museum of Natural History
University of Utah