From:
Laurel Casjens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 1995 09:39:51 MDT
To John Arnold and all:

The Utah Museum of Natural History has a history of hosting
juried photography exhibits.  We generally hold a "photo-festival" in
conjunction with the judging and opening of the show, in which the
juror (a nationally known photographer which we contract 1 to 2 years
in advance) gives workshops and lectures and gallery talks.  These
festivals are popular with the local photo community, and we always
fill workshops etc. to capacity.

As to themes and titles:  we have a theme/title with a natural
history bent, as we are a natural history museum.  Usually we ask the
juror to come up with a catchy title (examples: "Eye and Mind", from
Bruce Barnbaum; "Intimate Landscapes" from Elliot Porter).  This
year, the exhibit committee chose the theme "Traces, the Confluence
of Nature and Humanity" before choosing a juror (who was Freeman
Patterson).  As you can see, titles/themes can be extremely broad, so
any photo fits, or can be tighter, which limits the selection
somewhat.

A catchy title is easier to sell to the Public--which is what it is
all about, right?  Titles can be the hardest part of the show, so
good luck!!!!

Laurel

Laurel Casjens
Curator of Collections