From:
Arlyn Danielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:47:13 -0500
I think this idea to increase attendance for museum programs is one I'm sure everybody cares about a great deal.  I am a museum professional (I work part-time) and I have a 3 ½ year old son who is visually impaired.  I love visiting museums and historic houses and my husband and I plan to introduce our son to this wonderful educational experience.  He already knows the word museum and has visited a number of institutions.  At 3 years old, he doesn't grasp the concepts or historical significance of museums, but he will eventually.  My concern is that museums are not very well prepared or equipped to make my son's museum experience an effective interesting and educational one- at least as much as a typical child with no handicaps or other issues with which to contend.  How are museums going to market and plan for the non-typical visitor and make it meaningful and fun?  This is a challenge but I feel it is important for museums to rise to the challenge.  My son and other challenged people deserve a museum experience equal to those children who have no disabilities.

Thanks-

Arlyn Danielson

Newseum

703-284-3975