From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:35:58 EDT

Good points you make. But, there are so many babyboomers that even if 3/4
stay on working, enough jobs are going to be able to open up. At the same time
there are new positions being created. I am a babyboomer btw, though at the
tail  end.

I should have pointed out that most of the museum jobs I was referring to
and have applied to are at the state and federal level. My immediate supervisor
is set to retire in 2 years (she'll be 54). A friend of my who worked at a
state university (not a museum job) was offered a 'golden handshake' and
couldn't resist. She was 45 and started working there when she was 19.

At 80% of her salary and full bennies! - no need to look for  other work or
plenty opportunity to start a new career. So not everyone is going  to have to
depend on SS benefits, though many of us still will.

Everyday, I am online looking for museum work. I check about 10 different
websites daily. There ARE a lot of museum jobs. The 'new museology', a direct
result of the phenomena of post-nationalism, is truly amazing. We are at, or
close to the 'hey-day' for museums. Maintaining interest with the younger
generation is vital, and I think all of us are doing a great job with this.
Renewed patriotism in more recent times has been a great boost.

For a book pertaining to this subject I highly recommend: Zulaika,  Joseba.
Guggenheim Bilbao Museoa. Museums, Architecture, and City Renewal.  Center for
Basque Studies, University of Nevada, Reno 2003.

It is true that the low paying, volunteer, etc., work is soooo difficult  and
hurts the SS earnings and quarters. I am VERY aware of SS earnings as two
years ago I had to go on SS Disability in order to have Medicare to pay for  eye
surgery that I have had to put off for 15 years. I simply could not put this
off any longer.

As I mentioned before, many of the issues I have faced with securing
employment in a museum have been my own doing (or not doing). Being out of the
workforce for 2 years has hurt too. It kills me when I see people who are  applying
for jobs that I am trying to get, that already have good jobs and they  are
just simply doing lateral transfers, etc. But I can't be bitter over that
because they are certainly entitled, etc., and have their own circumstances. But
I did once find myself wanting to scream, 'Wait, look over here, hello I am
making nothing'.

Thanks to the internet, I can keep track of what's going on. For many of
these jobs I've applied for, I have gone onto the museum's website and  have
found the names of the people who were hired for jobs I applied  for. Then I can
do a search for their names and find out more information. I do  this to assist
in my job search. So for one, the person's name came up so many  times in the
search. Tons of newspaper articles and clearly, this person had  done a lot
of wonderful work and was well qualified.

I'm not looking to see whether the person is well-qualified to see if I was
considered fairly or not, but I'm comparing their background to mine and I'm
looking to see what else I would need to be competitive. All the people I have
 found so far who are getting these jobs, are not unemployed. And often I can
 find what job they left, and as far as I can tell that they were  doing
related (non-museum) work, and are moving into full-fledged  museum work (was
interesting to note). But they do have related MA's and it  looks like they may
have had to accept other types of related work (perhaps at  the time they were
looking for museum work, there was nothing much  available).

Whenever I can find what position they have held  before, interestingly
enough I discovered that the jobs these people  are leaving, are jobs that I do not
qualify for and they are high-profiling,  good paying positions. So I do
think this is really curious. But also,  this clearly indicates that you have a
better chance of getting a job if you  already have a (paying) job.

One of the last jobs I applied for was a museum at a state university. I
searched the internet and found all the 2004 salaries (from professors  to
maintenance workers) for every employee at that university. I found the  salary for
the person that held the position that I was applying for.

Based on that (and in another search I determined that this person had
worked there for 8 years) I was able to figure a salary I could  negotiate for if I
were offered the job. So I went up just a tad from the  starting salary for
the position, but went lower than that of the  person vested 8 years. Once
again, I never got to the point of salary  negotiations. I'll be ready though when
the opportunity arises.

I was trying to stay 'calm' during my recent job searches but it hasn't  been
easy to do so. Not only am I very anxious to get back to work in general,
but it looked like I wasn't going to be able to send my son to college this year
 if I didn't get a job and quick. I'd have to say that this broke my heart
like  never before. Of course I could foresee this occurrence years earlier and
tried  to prevent the possibility, but to have it become a realization was
something I  never felt before and really can't put into words.

Without any of these jobs materializing,  I quickly got my  motherly instinc
ts refocused and went right over to the college and calmly  asked for more
financial aid for my son. Although I still have to pay a bit, I  managed an extra
10k! After the FA counselor made the offer, I broke down and  finally cried
over all this.

Back to my point about my job search - I'm sure my anxiety and  desperation
showed through during my interviews...I was sooo nervous. People who  are
already in a job or otherwise not in a desperate situation have a far better
chance of getting these jobs. Often, they don't have the stress to be out of  work,
may be going for a higher salary, etc., and simply give a 2-week  notice.

Now that I am calm and my son is entering college, I am focusing on what I
need to do to get a full-time, permanent museum job (not the volunteer, small
grant, possible seasonal funding which is down from possible full-time to,
'maybe' 3k). I have a whole different perspective now. If I have to volunteer
and/or do an internship to update my skills, I'll do it. Then I'll start
applying for museum work again (and keep trying to calm down already).

I know I am not the only one out there in this situation. And I will
certainly have to work beyond retirement age just to pay off my once dinky  student
loan.

I have suffered through a lot. Five years of being a full-fledged
(waitressing,and working at a hospital too) shovel bum had left me with  everything from
lumbar spinal stenosis to Lyme disease. I went several years  undiagnosed
with the spine condition because not too many people in their 30's  get that. So
now you know, Micki that I AM one of the  people you are referring to! I have
experienced the occupational effects from  this work. But I'm all patched up
and ready to go!

I have to disagree with you about doing volunteer work though. I have
faithfully volunteered for one museum for 10 years now. Every year - a used book
sale and X-Mas craft show fundraisers -I inventoried all their Indian artifacts,
 among other projects.

Unfortunately, all volunteer work does is quite the opposite of what you
might think. It tells a potential employer that you are willing to work for free
(so why should they pay you 40k+ a year) and that you perhaps aren't 'good'
enough to do paid work.

If you are looking for museum work and want to volunteer your time, you are
far better off with a short-term internship, even if it's unpaid. The reason
for  this is that potential employers know that an established internship
usually  requires that the intern work under the supervision of a professional with
 at least an MA.

In small, all-volunteer museums, you are less likely to work in a
state-of-the art, professional environment. There are exceptions, of course and  I have
spent a lot of the last 10 years learning from a Museum Director (and  town
historian) who has a Ph.D. She's in her 80's and retired. I do make sure I
properly use her title when I list her as a reference.

I volunteer for my own personal benefit (something productive) and those  who
benefit from my much needed work. So on one hand, I may express my need to
volunteer in order to maintain my skills but I it is not the way to go for
museum employment.

And being a research junkie, I have studied volunteerism while I was a  VISTA
volunteer and when I worked on my social services degree. While I was a
VISTA volunteer -is where I learned about grant writing and many other skills
that I have been able to apply to museum work. People volunteer for many
reasons, but it does not aid in an effort to  pursue professional work. It did get me
a nice barrister bookcase that the  museum no longer needed.

Now you see that perhaps the reason I can't get the 'right' job is because  I
am seriously a total research junkie, maniac employee that none of you out
there in their right mind would consider hiring (no sah, just kiddin' I'm not
that bad) . But I am taking a leap of faith with sharing my personal
experiences  here to get some points across, and I would like to hope that my  name
hasn't ended up alongside the word 'Delete' on your  keyboard! And besides, I
know that many of you are also really totally serious  research junkies that are
working like maniacs on dozens of projects!

Pam

In a message dated 8/22/2005 9:12:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,