From:
Justin Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:21:14 -0400
Theresa,

I just finished teaching a class for a grad seminar on this topic and found
your query. My campus bookstore wasn't able to order Angela Miller's Empire
of the Eye, unfortunately. Anyway, in addition to what you list below you
may want to try all or parts of the following:

American Wilderness: A New History. Edited by Michael Lewis. New York:
Oxford University Press, 2007.
(Contains some good essays, esp. for historical context.)

Cronon, William. Changes in the Land: Indians, Colonists, and the Ecology of
New England. New York: Hill & Wang, 2003.
(I usually assign a chapter sometime during the first few classes, to help
develop conceptualizations of terms like "nature," "wilderness," and
"farm.")

Wylie, John. Landscape. New York: Routledge, 2007.
(A cogent primer on landscape theory and cultural geography. I've had good
luck teaching the chapter titled "Landscape Phenomenology.")

Best,

Justin Wolff