From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:13:45 -0700
Greetings all:

I am certain this is an unusual question.  I hope someone on Museum-L
might know the source of this quotation (supposedly) from Plato:

"Someday, in the distant future, our grandchildren's grandchildren will
develop a new equivalent of our classrooms. They will spend many hours
in front of boxes with fires glowing within. May they have the wisdom to
know the difference between light and knowledge."

Searching online, I stumbled upon reference to Plato's "Discourse on
Future Learning," but I can find no evidence that such a discourse (or
dialogue) actually exists.

Are we supposed to believe Plato was clairvoyant?  Come on . . . "boxes
with fires"?  This strikes me as "urban legend" (or a "techno-myth").

Best wishes, sincerely,

Jay Heuman

Curator of Education

Salt Lake Art Center