From:
Becca Hiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:49:22 -0500
I looked into the program at George Washington University and it sounded
great. However, unless something has changed in the last year it is not a
degree, it is a certificate program and you have to be working in the field.
I realize most people already are but sometimes they are not.  Starting
April 11 I will no longer work at a museum as I can no longer support myself
or my son on $20,000 a year.  I will go to work at the county Register of
Deeds office where I will have a much better salary and insurance (I am
giddy at the prospect of having my teeth cleaned).  That being said, I plan
to try and still pursue a Master's degree in History or Museum Studies
because eventually I want to return to the work that makes me happiest.

This discussion of distance learning came at a great time for me as I have
agonized over how to keep a connection to the field I love.  Hopefully, if I
do pursue a degree online, I will eventually be able to land a job that
allows me to earn a living and have fun.

Becca Hiller

Curator/Archivist

Santa Fe Trail Center

www.santafetrailcenter.org