From:
Amy Kleinert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 15:15:45 -0700
Dear Mary Agnes:

We have made it our policy to not remove artwork from
an exhibition, temporary or permanent. Here are a few
of the broader reasons why:
(1) Moving art work frequently can increase chances
for damage to the work or exhibit.
(2) Who will move the work back in the morning? (Which
is typically a Saturday or Sunday.)  Lacking those
pieces, the integrity of the exhibition is lowered;
pieces would be missing, the lighting of the
exhibition is off, and the visitors are missing
portions of the exhibit. Or worse yet, what if the
board member/donor/family of an exhibiting artist
comes in looking for a specific piece (as promised to
be on exhibit) and it is gone?!
(3) Finally, if your renters want you to move work,
frankly they are looking for a banquet hall.  We are
not banquet halls.  We offer the public a unique and
beautiful place for an event.  I tell prospective
renters up front what the deal is, no moving art work
or temporary walls.  Most get the picture quickly and
weed themselves out.

I do want to say that there is ONE situation where we
have moved work (this mostly happens the day of the
event when we are setting up): when the art work is in
danger of being damaged by event proceedings.  We felt
that instances such as this that it is our ethical and
professional duty to protect the work. In most cases
this tends to be 3-D works on pedestals floating in
the gallery where the set-up of tables is cramped and
we are concerned attendees will bump into it, knock it
off, etc.

Our mission, first and foremost, is to interpret, care
for and display works of art...not to hold wedding
receptions. Don't get me wrong, this has been a great
source of income for us, but it hasn't been cake walk
when trying to define policies.  I try to be realistic
when it comes time to sign that rental agreement and
if I am not comfortable and feel it is pushing our
limits, I tell them we can't do it. Not often you hear
this point of view from an events coordinator, is it?

Any specific questions, go ahead and contact me off
list.

Amy Kleinert ([log in to unmask])
Marketing Manager
South Bend Regional Museum of Art

--- Mary Agnes Beach <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> I have a question for art museum staff who oversee
> the rental of exhibition space for wedding
> receptions and other such events.  What sorts of
> policies do you have regarding the integrity of the
> exhibits?  For example if the renter requests that
> something in the exhibit removed during their rental
> period will you oblige?  Many thanks to any list
> subscribers who have had experience with this type
> of situation or those of you who want to offer your
> judgment on the ethics of such a situation.

=====
Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.
-- Stella Adler