From:
Jim Croft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 00:22:35 +1100
Yes - my 'farside' desk calendar said it was groundhog day in the US
too.  Is a groundhog the same as a gopher?  What is the story behind
groundhog day?  Is it worth celebrating?  If so, what does one do?
(This is the sort of question that the civilization created museums
to answer - BTW, the good folks at the Harvard Museum of Comparative
Zoology claim that the famous Minnesota gopher so renowned on the
internet is not a gopher at all but a 13-lined ground squirrel and
have a phylogenetic reconstruction to prove it - see, museums really
do have a place in the cosmos...)

now to business:

Barbara Weitbrecht wrote:

> Jim Croft says:
> >Walter Henry ([log in to unmask]), moderator of the Consdist list
> >maintains a wais archive of electronically available Disaster/emergency
> >plans - links to this server can be picked up through our gopher and WWW
> >servers (155.187.10.12, ports 70 and 80 respectively).  There are about
> >8 or so good plans available there.

Walter's wais server at Stanford had changed its name (where is stable
taxonomy when you need it?) and I was a bit slack about getting around
to altering or resource files to reflect this so the links may not have
worked when you tried.  All fixed now...

Links to the Stanford wais server can be found on our gopher under
other gophers, COnservation OnLine, etc.  -
gopher://155.187.10.12/11/other-gophers/cool/.  Choose the search CoOL files
option and enter a word like 'disaster' or 'emergency'.  Our web server
also points to this directory.  With wais and gopher links to wais you
can not browse what is there - you have to know what you want and then
ask for it.  There is a gopher server somwhere in the US that also points
to these wais files, but I can not remember where it is.

> >I have extracted these and marked then up in html and made them
> >available through our WWW server
> >(URL = http://155.187.10.12/disaster/disaster.html) plus links to a
> >couple of other disaster gophers.  Also available is our fire emergency
> >procedures and protection strategy.

About a quarter of the way down our web home page is a link to
the ANBG Fire manual and the disaster recovery plans extracted from
CoOL. (http://155.187.10.12/disaster/disaster.html).  Further down there
is another link to Conservation Online (http://155.187.10.12/cool/cool.html).

> Jim, could you provide a few more details about where these files
> are in Gopher-space or the World-Wide Web?  I have been wandering
> around the ANBG Gopher server all morning, but I can't seem to
> find them.  Which menu(s) are they on?  Are they on an FTP server
> somewhere, or just on the Gopher?

Sorry, I have not copied the actual files to gopher yet - I was hoping a
heap more plans were going to be posted to the net following the poignant
reminder of the vulnerability of museums in Los Angeles recently.

No ftp, sorry - we started with gopher (easy) and then expanded to World
wide web (fun) and somehow forgot about FTP (useful) - hopefully we will
get around to it later.  I am not sure whether Walter has an FTP server
to deliver the files but I know he is working feverishly on a gopher and
web archive of materials conservation and preservation information from
the CoOl wais site.

Sorry you got lost in our gopher - you are not the first to do so - it
is due for a radical reconstruction when we can find some time...
If you get stuck again, contact me directly and we will try an isolate
the problem.

cheers

jim
Jim Croft           [Herbarium CBG]               internet: [log in to unmask]
Australian National Botanic Gardens                  voice:  +61-6-2509 490
GPO Box 1777, Canberra, ACT 2601, AUSTRALIA            fax:  +61-6-2509 599
                          URL=http://155.187.10.12:80/people/croft.jim.html
______Biodiversity Directorate, Australian Nature Conservation Agency______