From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:36:20 -0700
Mary,

Since there can be a wide range of skills and essential tasks for ALL
staff in a collections department I would think that if you are
seeking to have measurable perfomance standards that you start with
the job descriptions for each position.

The performance factors for an art handler, exhibit designer, curator,
and registrar are all different. I would expect some sort of
educational or publication component for a curator, while that would
not be an essential performance factor for an art handler.

It may take some thinking and perhaps more creative ways to think
about job descriptions and tasks to find ways to measure performance,
but it can be done.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey