From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:23:31 -0700
Ok, I'll take Jay's whipping, knowing the following:

1.  It was not intended to insult any one of you.

2.  It wasn't saying you weren't doing anything but
that more needs to be done creatively to turn the
tide, or your children's children will be saying,
"Grandpa, what's a museum?"

3.  This was offered not to say that you were slackers
but that the situation is dire and that, unless the
profession gets as smart as some of the others have
had to do (education doesn't always translate to
smart) there just may not be a place.

4.  It was offered from the background of one who has
taken 4 PR and 1 advertising courses in the last
decade, including PR for Nonprofits.

Ok, so you're all overworked, underpaid, and your
museums underfunded.  In the aggregate, a pity party
of some start gets started on this list every couple
of months (I can't find a job, my job doesn't pay
enough, etc.).  My thinking was that, if you don't act
in the collective, proactively, the profession may
just dry up.  How many times have there been posts to
this list about a museum here, there, or somewhere,
sometimes a long-established museum, closing?

It's not up to somebody else to keep the profession
going.  It's up to those of us who happen to believe
there is extreme value.  My suggestion may have been
ill gotten and/or unappreciated (oh, please, beat me
some more with that wet noodle), but I'm trying to
convince you that you have to do more than lament.
The old tools aren't working, and some of those (as in
funding because estate tax made it worth the while of
the donors to do so) are being ripped away.

Doing what you always did and expecting different
results (as in more patrons, more wages, more jobs)
just isn't logical.

And before one soul gives the "I already work too hard
at my job" excuse, please don't go there.  You make
the time for those things that are important.  Even
though wages are slim, would you not be willing to
pool $5 each to launch an advertising campaign that
could save your job and perhaps increase your wages?

I'm not saying that what I offered is even the right
idea.  All I'm suggesting, cajoling, insinuating is
that you have GOT to get creative or fold because we
live in an era where the value is on things that don't
include museums.

If I'm making no sense, sorry.  I had a full day class
today and just got home at 10 p.m. after a long train
ride from San Diego where I've had time to think about
just this topic (and where I saw 2 more museums to put
on my must-investigate list).

I realize it may seem a little eccentric.  It requires
a different school of thought.  But it's creative
thinking that the group will need to save the
profession or you'll be tagging a real RIP on your
institution's doors.

Indigo Nights