From:
Chris Woodson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:05:16 EDT
"Have the script writer work with an historian to ensure

accuracy but rely on the theater person to know what works "on stage"

I kind of agree with this.  Every summer we actively recruit performing arts
type folks....drama majors, etc.....for their acting skills, to portray
figures in history, yet we tend run into problems when it comes to the
history side of things.

As for the problem of gender-specific roles, I dunno....that's a tricky one.
At our site we focus on a 1585 English military expedition to the new world,
and there simply are no roles for women in this scenario, at least in the
interest of accuracy....yet we cannot advertise this.  Good luck with that
one.

Chris Woodson
Roanoke Island Festival Park/Elizabeth II state site
Manteo, NC