From:
Lori Tomlinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 18:33:53 EDT
Hi Susan.

Let me start by saying there may be no easy solution, and you're bound to
upset someone no matter which course of action you might take.

Have you tried contacting your local humane society, or perhaps the Humane
Society of the US?  There may be some natural substance that can be used as a
repellent, and a physical barrier that could keep them out once they're gone.

As for eating the squirrels, well, let me say this.  I am a RABID vegetarian.
 I'd rather see them trapped humanely if at all possible.  If they must be
killed, it would make sense to at least use them in some educational way,
i.e. in authentic historic recipes.  If anyone gives you guff about that,
tell them to think long and hard about their objections the next time they're
scarfing down a hamburger at Burger King.  And if a vegetarian gives you
guff, you can always explain that eating a squirrel and eating a cow,
chicken, or pig are basically the same thing, and if they're going to
protest, then they'll have to do it at ANY event in which you serve food with
meat in it.  I doubt they would be willing to do that.

Best of luck!

Lori Tomlinson
Executive Director
Florida Adventure Museum