From:
Larry Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2011 14:20:30 -0500
Dear Jerry,

Interesting question. How one goes about answering the question really
depends on the information you seek to retrieve and make use of.

I've served as CEO of an institution with precisely the situation you
mention - food service that is available to those who have purchased
museum admission and to those who have not. Further, I've worked for
several other institutions that have this same issue.

Conversion rates, or sometimes "Capture Rates" here in the U.S. are, as
you clearly pointed out a bit like alchemy. Here's a few of the things
I've learned.

I found that a good measure of performance for both the museum store,
the food service, and other concessions was a comparison of the per
capita sales to admissions. This not only gives you a good set of
statistics to assess performance but, when recorded with other factors
such as holidays, special events, weather conditions, etc., can provide
you with a reasonable predictive tool. To make this data more meaningful
we still needed to record the capture rates.

Like you, I was curious about the conversion or capture rate of guests
to the museum v. guests to the store or restaurant. We tried a number of
tools as you suggested, however they were not accurate to the level I
had hoped for and/or they were cumbersome to administer. The best
solution actually came in the form of a solution to another challenge,
how to distinguish guests of different types from each other and how to
weed out those who had come onto the museum grounds without a paid
admission.

We had printed out tickets all along, but a ticket goes into a pocket,
purse, or waste bin and we wanted to be able to identify guests by
sight, not by confrontation. This was compounded by a desire to know
which guests were members, which were part of a group, and which were
general admission. Members and groups would get privileges otherwise not
extended to general admission guests for example (including discounts,
etc.). So the solution was to give each guest a color coded (with a
printed mark) sticker to wear on their clothing. The advantages were
many, such as identifying a member at a distance and being able to
strike up a quick conversation about a member benefit. One of the
advantages was being able to distinguish a paid admission guest from a
recurring member or a non-paid guest. We set up our system so we could
distinguish Members, NEW Members (that day), General Admission (Adult
and Child), Group Admission (Adult and Child), School Group (Chaperon
and Student), and Guest of the Museum (this might be business, donor
prospect, whatever).

Then we modified our POS system to allow for a single key stroke
designation to identify different types of guests. With that done we
were able to specifically count the different populations, compare them
against admission sales, and associate specific transactions to specific
types of guests. It was very easy to have staff simply tap the correct
key at the beginning of the transaction as they were also asking for the
guests postal code (a vital statistic for guest studies). One nice
benefit was having our guests out in the community still wearing their
stickers and thereby letting everyone know they were there because of us.

By the way, we also were able to track conversion or capture rate in the
form of conversion from a museum store or restaurant visit and then an
admission or membership. We adopted a policy of encouraging guests to
present their store or restaurant receipt when purchasing admission or
membership to receive a discount.

I've seen this type of system in various forms used at other
institutions and they all seem to work well on a variety of fronts. The
device may differ such as the metal tabs used at the Metropolitan Museum
of Art to hand stamps, to stickers, to wrist bands. I think the medium
needs to be selected so that it reflects your environments and the
culture of your institution.

Cheers,

Larry Fisher
Museum Planner, Designer, Imagineer