From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:33:16 -0400
I hate to be the one to carry this further into a second week.  I realize
that Cate Cooney wrote in a moment of exasperation.  But this was not the
only communication to prospective museum employees that I have felt were out
of place.

The general downslide may not be that at all.  Rather, it is a different
approach than what most of us were accustomed to.

There are school teachers who rant about how children are being raised
"these days."  They don't respond to discipline as they once did.  Those
teachers should leave the field, or adapt to "these days."

As potential museum professionals arise, can we discern how best we can help
our profession's future through them?  I hope there will be fewer objections
to those who, in their own ways, will help museums and libraries keep up
with changing public expectations.

Ross Weeks Jr.