From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 13:55:38 -0500
>An example is a rural arts center, having no collection of its own, moving
>into a cultural heritage concept that includes exhibits of prehistoric
>materials.  "Arts" can attract more funding and the arts world has greater
>snob appeal to donors.  It is a black-tie oasis in a farming region.

Wow, it would never occur to me (assuming I worked at the arts center) NOT
to contact the rural heritage center if I were interested in developing a
project using prehistoric materials.  It would be like re-inventing the
wheel.  My instinctive approach would be to ask the heritage center to
co-sponsor the project by lending us the materials, and then we would work
out a joint fundraising plan and cross-promotional campaign that would
benefit us both.

(however, I disagree with your premise that "arts" can attract more funding
than heritage institutions.  It would depend on the locale and the specific
institutions involved, but my experience has been that history is more
attractive to donors than is art simply because history is NOT perceived as
elitist and has a broader appeal--everyone has history, but not everyone is
an artist.  Is this a case of "the grass is greener on the other side of the
fence?")

Julia Moore
Indianapolis Art Center