From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:16:23 -0400
Doing after-hours programs can become a difficult chore.  The CEO is
expected to be the goodwill ambassador for the museum.  That means there is
no such thing as a 40-hr. workweek.  Our historical societies tend to meet
on Sunday afternoons.  Our DAR, etc. are Saturday folks.  There are annual
conferences on this or that, especially cultural tourism, that take an
entire day even if I'm just the luncheon program.  For programs outside the
immediate community, we specify that mileage must be reimbursed.  We do not
charge a fee.  If an honorarium is offered, my practice is to turn it over
to the museum -- it is the safest thing to do, as opposed to having anyone
think I'm "making money" from my position.  Museum types  in government or
university settings are probably governed by policies from above.

    Yet I am among those who tend to resent organizations with relatively
affluent members that expect programs and even consulting assistance without
some expense.   Our museum has a "Saturday series" and we always provide an
honorarium of at least $200 and, if the trip is more than 50 miles
round-trip, we offer to pay mileage.  I sleep more soundly knowing that we,
at least, have done what is right.

    Ross Weeks Jr.
    http://histcrab.netscope.net

From: Bill Maurer <[log in to unmask]>