From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:05:32 -0400
Julia Moore is exactly right.  Museums aren't 9-5, M-F type places.

Too many museums are closed Mondays when it isn't necessary, and how
frustrating this is for travelers.  Except for this last weekend, with the
Independence Day holidays, I generally get my best creative work done on
Saturdays.  Local culture dictates that we not open until after lunch
Sundays, rightly or wrongly, and this also frustrates travelers.

I'm finding that others on our small staff often work 2-3 weekend hours to
concentrate on a project, and so I'm giving them a half-day off on some
other day of their choice (within the same month).

>A general comment:  Who says that 9-to-5 M-F is the way it has to be? How
about some staff working every other Saturday and taking their "weekend" on
Sunday/Monday?  I think museums should be at the forefront of experimenting
with these kinds of schedules in order to provide maximum open hours for the
communities they serve as well as needed flexibility for their creative and
devoted (and underpaid) staff. Personally I wouldn't mind working the
occasional (or even more than occasional) Saturday or Sunday if I could get
the following Monday or the previous Friday off.  I could get a lot more
personal stuff done that normally I need to spend lunch hours on, and on the
weekends the phone doesn't ring as often!

>Julia Moore
>Indianapolis Art Center

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
http://museums.state.nm.us/nmmnh/museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed
to [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "help"
(without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).