From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:52:31 -0500
Subject: naming opportunities

The Canadian War Museum has in the past recieved large donations of money,
two of these donations were recognized by having something named after the
donors, and yes the is a "concrete" acknowledgement of their donations. The
first donation resulted in the courtyard in front of our museum being
renamed and a granite stone plaque was set in the yard, this also resulted
in an addition to our mailing address. The second large donation was for our
library, the library was renamed and a plaque placed on the wall
commemorating this donation. In the case of the library it was originally in
the museum building when the donation and renaming took place. The library
has since been moved to our collections storage facility (in order to
increase our exhibition space), but the name remains and the plaque was
re-installed at its new location. We have plans to move to a brand new
facility in (hopefully 2004), the library name will move, but I do not know
about about the courtyard address.

Another thing we have done is with sponsers of exhibits, is that we have had
acknowledgement panels, usually at the end of the exhibit, to list sponsers
and donors. The one exception (and I think there is only one) is for the
Fire Boss company. We have a diorama for the gulf war and the oil fires in
Kuwait, the Fire Boss company gave us a video of the fires of Kuwait being
put out, equipment, and money, the display has an acknowledgement in the
form of a business card for the company mounted under the text.

Carol Reid
www.warmuseum.ca