From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:16:29 -0500
I think that Pamela Feltus put forward some excellent points regarding the
exhibition and interpretation of arms and armour.  But don't forget that not
all arms and armour were created for the purpose of violence - many were
created as works of art or for ceremonial purposes only and as a result the
history and context of an item should be considered when it is being
interpreted.

From reading your e-mail you are actually looking for resources on how
institutions deal with the issues of violence in exhibitions and of
displaying objects with a grim purpose. I am not sure how much you will
find, but clues to how a museum might deal with this topic can be found in
the museum's mandate or mission statement. Most major museums have web sites
and state their mandate, vision or mission statement etc somewhere on the
site. I have included a few here. I hope that this helps - most sites also
give contact information that you can follow up with.

The Canadian War Museum tells the story of how conflict has defined our
country, from earliest times to the present day. War has shaped our borders,
decided our languages, chosen our ethnic heritage and affected countless
other aspects of our lives. War is not glorified here but presented as an
integral part of our heritage. We can all learn something from this story.
www.warmuseum.ca

The Australian War Memorial commemorates the sacrifice of Australian men and
women who have served in war. www.awm.gov.au

The Imperial War Museum seeks to provide for, and to encourage, the study
and understanding of the history of modern war and 'war-time experience'
www.iwm.org.uk

The Royal Armouries promotes in the UK and worldwide the knowledge and
appreciation of arms and armour and of the Tower (of London) through the
collections of the museum and the expertise of staff. www.armouries.org.uk
You might want to follow up on the Royal Armouries as they do specialize in
the exhibition of arms and armour though the ages.

Carol Reid