From:
Elizabeth Bazan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2015 10:51:22 -0600
Ware,

A couple of years ago, we developed a Summer Passport Search Series. It was
inspired by the summer reading programs most libraries have. The Passport
Program is a series of 6 quick search activities (6-8 questions each)
starting on Memorial Day. The searches are released every two weeks
throughout the summer. Each child receives a passport book which can store
the search sheets and the stamps (stickers) they earn for completing the
activities. The stamps are printed on 2x4" mailing labels which are then
cut in half. If the passport is left at home, the child can still receive
new search and sticker to take them home. Every two weeks, each child who
completes at least one search activity is entered to win a $10 gift
certificate to our Museum Store.

The program has been extremely popular. The feedback we have had from
parents is that they enjoy an opportunity to take a closer look at exhibits
they have already seen with their children or that their children
ordinarily refuse to visit in favor of our children's area. We keep all of
the past searches and stickers at the front desk, in case a child misses
one or starts later in the summer.

The program costs $60 for the gift certificates plus the paper to print the
passports, searches, and stickers. The biggest investment has been the time
to develop the search activities and the stamp images (which I designed).
Each year we have to come up with a new theme, which is challenging. Our
first year, we did an exhibition a week. The next we focused on taking a
closer look in certain locations like "On the Wall" or "In the Background."
The second has been producing the passport booklets in house. This becomes
the job of a summer intern.

We also tried a Winter Holidays Search (inspired by a winter-themed floor
plan at the Shedd Aquarium). This was a much simpler search activity, again
with about 10 questions. We made it available over the school winter break.
There was no prize offered. We were shocked at how many people completed it
and we got a lot of press coverage in response to our press release. We are
going to try a similar approach to Spring Break.

If you would like examples of any of the above, please let me know. I would
be glad to send them, though I know that attachments don't work on the
list.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth

--