From:
Sara Conklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:18:06 -0800
As a dinosaur bone appraiser I have to say, good question.  I appraise many
things that are considered endangered or protected species, fossils,
shipwreck recovered artifacts etc.  There are a lot of things that need to
be valued in the real world that we (remember my first and favorite
profession is Registrar-of-the-World)  would rather hide under the bed and
avoid the whole "filthy lucre" aspect.  Doing appraisals for the "gripper"
is my favorite: appraisals of stolen items so that the legal system can
decide between misdemeanor or felony and charitable donation so that the
item will land in a home where it will be preserved and available to all top
my list of good work.  Market and Fair Market value so that divorcing
couples or heirs can divide the goods equitably is ok work since the items
aren't going directly into the market.

 I detest market value appraisals so that someone can sell dubious
material -- material that I feel belongs to "us" and shouldn't be sold.
Insurance work is alright. I am lucky in that I have never had to support
myself totally (thanks to my hubby) and could afford to have principles.
There are plenty of "appraisers" with no ethics that give the rest of us a
bad name.  Since personal property appraisers (v. real estate) are not
licensed, we can run wild in the streets and that's why is it is critical to
hire or recommend a trained and tested appraiser. (See the International
Society of Appraisers or American Society of Appraisers).

Appraising contraband (illegal to own) materials is a very interesting
delimma.  My professional society teaches that if there is no legal market,
there is no value.  The Fish and Wildlife Service, on the other hand, has
black market values for a lot of species they are charged to protect and use
those values in court work.

I will get off the soap box now since you are all busy but want to add to
this discussion list when I can and do so in hopes that you learn something
about the appraisal world.  As a Registrar, the word "appraiser" was to be
avoided at all costs (fingers in ears and saying la,la,la loudly)and so I
remained ignorant about even the basic concepts. I am old now and think it
is ok to try to sneak some concepts in on you all ocassionally.   Sara
Conklin, ISA CAPP  PH: 800-464-4208 [log in to unmask]