From:
Sara Conklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 10:59:25 -0800
I know you mean Nomenclature.  Ship models are challenging since everything
in the nautical world uses a different name for ordinary words (wall =
bulwark etc.) and then they have all the weird bits (course, lower topsail,
upper topsail, topsail halliard).

Are you cataloging ship models?  Two critical references are the
International Maritime Dictionary by Rene de Kerchove and The Lore of Ships
by A B Nordbok. (sorry the underlining thing isn't working in this
software).  I catalog ship models as part of the appraisal process and,
frankly, it took me 10 years as the Registrar at the maritime museum in San
Francisco to begin to get a handle on the nomenclature.  I typically
describe the rig (use Lore of Ships for this) and then get technical when
some crazy moving company has separated the "mizzen mast" from the deck.  I
feel it is important to be technically accurate naming the parts that I need
to discuss that are poorly done or damaged.  I wish i had some quick fix.
My fix was working with "those salty guys" at the museum and I picked their
braines on a daily basis.   You can contact me offline if you have some
specific questions, I am happy to help.  Sara Conklin, ISA CAPP  Certified
Appraiser and Nautical Queen.  [log in to unmask], PH: 800-464-4208.