From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 22:21:29 -0400
Ken,

Feather leis can be very delicate.  It is definitely better to prevent dust accumulation than to try to remove it, for example, with a feather duster, which likely would tear off pieces of the weaker lei.  A simple plexiglas (or equivalent lexan or other stable rigid plastic) case would be adequate.  A local fabricator should be able to assist you at reasonable cost, or you could even make a case yourself if you have the requisite skills.  I would NOT lay the lei on a fabric support unless the fabric is of archival stability.  I have seen color transfer from fabrics to leis - and this is essentially permanent damage.  The best method may be hanging the lei from a support made of plexiglas rods if its stringing is adequately strong.  Your goal is to keep all potentially harmful components out of the case, and include only materials of known stability within it.  Good luck!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors
     Decorative Objects & Folk Art

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)