From:
Meg Justus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2014 12:43:08 -0700
I’ve had that problem, too.  The painter’s tape mitigates this a great deal, but isn’t a complete failsafe.  And I’ve had issues with panels/labels on the same wall, on the same *surface*, using the exact same materials, the same size and weight and everything.  One will fall off repeatedly, and the other will have to be pried off when it’s time to change the exhibit.
It’s been bandied about that it’s got something to do with the temperature and humidity fluctuations in an old building – but right *next* to each other?
I’m really glad to know I’m not the only one who’s had this problem.  My client has been as baffled as I am, and asks if I’ve come up with anything to prevent it happening every time she hires me to build a new exhibit.  And I’ve asked around locally (my former teachers) and here, and researched the issue to the best of my ability, and tried half a dozen or more mounting methods, and, well, no...
Meg Justus
independent curation and exhibits
The first museum I worked at I never had trouble with the labels falling off of the walls but the one I’m at now I’ve had occasional problems with them releasing from the walls for some reason.  It might be a seasonal shift, it might be a different paint surface—I’m really not sure.  If you use enough of them they should stay up though and would just have to fine-tune to your walls.  I’ve only used them on painted drywall surfaces though and I supposed amore porous surface would be a problem.

I’d love to hear what others are doing for labels though.  I’m a little tired of mounting on foamboard and cutting and interested in peel-and-stick options that look professional.

Jodi Lundgren

Coordinator/Curator

South Dakota Art Museum