From:
"Tenuth, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:42:07 -0500
I would stay away from coin stores initially.  Mostly they would downgrade your coins in order to give you less for them.  It's better to check with a local coin club or your state numismatic society.  Grading services such as PCGS (Professional Coin Grading Service), NGC (Numismatic Guaranty Corp.) or ANACS (the coin grading service of the American Numismatic Association) are all good, but they probably will charge you for their services.  When you say "Good" condition, be aware that can mean something different than what you may think.  "Good" condition as a numismatic term means that coins are generally very worn with few details left.  Their value is usually low (except for low mintage coins).  The expanded condition rating system goes from Poor to MS 70.  Poor, fair, good, very good, fine, very fine, extra fine, uncirculated, brilliant uncirculated, and various MS (number) ratings up to MS 70 constitute the entire system.  There are additional grades as well, but no need to go into that here.  Unless you are well versed in grading coins, what you think "good" means may actually mean worn out.  If that's the case, then it may not be worth sending your coins to grading services.  It certainly would not be worth slabbing them.  Start with a local coin club or someone you trust.  Also, don't send your coins away for valuation unless it's with a professional coin grading service.  And if you do, document what you're sending away.

Jeff Tenuth
Indiana State Museum
Indianapolis, Indiana