From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:44:47 -0700
  If you think competition for grants and fellowships is fierce wait until
you start applying for real jobs.  Again, Alexandra and all others,
there is no reason why you cannot do this yourself. My own sites started
out very small; in fact the Resources site began as a four-page, 14-pt
hardcopy supplement to The Rutgers Art Review.  I grabbed it and made it
into an online newsletter when it became plain that the RAR was having
severe publication problems and that no one was interested in continuing
the Resources newsletter.
  So, take a look at my site--it's still pretty primitive, without fancy
animation or flash or even its own search engine, but then again every
machine can read it.  Lots of organizations, colleges, universites, and
even, sometimes, museums, have sites similar, if much smaller, rather
like mine which you may find more attractive.  Don't wait for some
mystical other to do stuff for you.  You may be a graduate student but
you are not entirely helpless.
  A last thought: I am an art historian, not a museum person.  To me it is
quite surprising how much more support there is on this list and
presumably in this field in consideration of career and employment
issues.  There is a big list for art historians, CAAH-L, where such
issues are seldom if ever discussed.  I think the kind of resources you
are writing about would receive a lot of support here and in the field
generally. As they say in Oregon, you need to just do it.

Adrienne DeAngelis, Editor
Resources in Art History for Graduate Students
(http://members.efn.org/~acd/resources.html)