From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 15:22:58 -0500
Hello Clark!

I have seen this in a few other places.  To my knowledge,
the 'C' to which you refer is a qualifier, identifying
"A.D." and "B.C." as a Christian-based dating system.
(Hence 'C' for Christian, as in "Anno Domini, Christian" and
"Before Christ, Christian".)

Less-partisan variants:

#1 - B.C.E. (Before the Common Era) and C.E. (The Common
Era) - using the years 1 BCE and 1 CE as the division.  (For
a great explanation, see:
http://www.radix.net/~dglenn/defs/ce.html.)

Also:

#2 - B.P. (Before Present), further qualified by the date
the report was written.

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum
2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)   342-2376 (fax)   www.joslyn.org

"You can’t lock up art in a vault and keep it frozen for
posterity. Then the artist is betrayed, history is
betrayed."
(Walter Persegati)