From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:59:04 -0400
Hall of Fame, or not?Maybe we should get a weigh-in from some staff members
from Halls of Fame that are on this list...
I think Halls of Fame certainly have their place; they are a different
animal and often suffer from a dismissive attitude.   I've seen good, fun
Halls of Fame -- the Georgia Music Hall of Fame in Macon, I do believe,
comes to mind (anywhere the B52s are honored has to be good) -- and some
that were struggling to find their niche and their momentum.  They straddle
the line between attraction and museum.  They are sometimes run by
volunteers and folks who are more skilled in the tourism industry than other
areas.
I would love to have the numbers the Baseball or Football Halls of Fame
generate...they are meccas for those who love the sports, and essential to
the preservation of heritage of the sports.  And they are, as far as I know,
fine institutions also.
Candace Perry
(a former proud employee of the Kentucky Derby Museum)