Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:06:29 -0600
David -

We are nearing the end of a five-year project for a complete renovation,
conservation, re-installation of our basket collection, and our
conservator's head would explode if we suggested putting baskets on sand or
gravel.  Sand will be abrasive and damage the baskets - both the surface and
potentially the structure.  Sand is essentially tiny bits of glass, and
you're talking about fibrous soft surfaces.   Besides, it will get into
everything, and you will be finding sand in your shelving and baskets and
that gallery for years.  (it's like when you throw a gala and somebody comes
with body glitter on - that stuff gets *everywhere*).   I would veto it if I
were you.  Just my two cents.

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
Laurel, MS 39440