From:
MUSEUMAA MUSEUMAA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 09:20:32 +0200
Wow-its amazing how similar our problems are no matter the context.
The South African Museums Assocation (SAMA) gets exactly the same
complaints-too much description-too little analysis and forward thinking
and ignoring the needs and constraints of small museums, which would
also be the face of museums throughout most SA and the only reason I
am speaking up here is that they generally also do not have access to
such a forum, having no computers let alone internet access. The
problem is though that often when small museums get a chance to speak
at a conference it tends to be along the lines of 'this is what I have done,
isn't it nice' The sort of thing you want to here at a conference since half
the reason of going is to find out what other museums are doing, but not
necessarily in a paper form, maybe poster sessions would be a way of
presenting current projects. One of the main complaints that SAMA gets
is that it is an exclusive club for directors and senior staff at big
museums, not only can the smaller museums and junior staff members
not get there for lack of money and because they come from one-person
museums or because their Boards do not recognise the value of a
museums association but it they get there there is very little of interest
for them.

Having been absolutely astounded at the variety and seeming quality of
events at AAM conferences I just found it fascinating that such similar
complaints would be doing the rounds. I am sure that SAMA (although I
speak with no authority from them) would appreicate any solutions
offered by/to AAM.

Kathryn Mathers
Department of Anthropology and Archaeology
University of South Africa