From:
MUSEUMAA MUSEUMAA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:27:31 +0200
Hi all

By the middle of next month I will no longer be at this address, although I
will keep the subscription so that the departmental museum remains in
touch. I am starting the fall semester at the University of California,
Berkeley, where I will be doing a PhD in anthropology. I am hoping to
learn a lot about qualitative research, especially evaluation, and to
combine my interest in museums, heritage, archaeology and education. It
is going to be quite a challenge since my previous studies have been in
archaeology, sociology and museum studies so socio-cultural
anthropology will be all new to me. I have got a feeling that the culture
shock of being in such a foreign country will also be a challenge.

I hope that I will be back on line before too long and that I will also be
meeting some of you in person. I will be at the address below until the
second week in August and would appeciate hearing any advice or from
people in the area through whom I might keep in touch with the practical
side of museology. I would also appreciate some advice about temporary
accomadation in and around Berkeley. My husband and I have been
lucky enought ot get university accomadation from the 4 September but
we will be arriving in San Francisco on the 13th August. Any ideas
would be much appreciated. Cheap is our basic criteria as the South
African rand is currently worth next to nothing relative to the $.

I would just like to say thank you very much for this amazingly stimulating
and often amusing, although sometime incomprehensible   (some of those
acronyms) discussions.

Kathryn Mathers
Department of Anthropology and Archaeology
University of South Africa