From:
Tom Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 22:48:57 -0600
Erin,
I think the answer to the accessibility question is increasingly NOT to try
to make sure you have something for each identifiable segment of the
population that may have different capabilities or limitations.  Rather, it
seems sounder to employ universal design in the creation of exhibits, using
a variety of senses in each exhibit, thereby ensuring not only that a
larger proportion of the total visitor population will be able to
experience the exhibit in SOME way but also that a large percentage of the
visitors will be able to experience it in SEVERAL ways.  We've all heard
and/or read the research results on how much  of a message we retain if we
only read it, versus reading and hearing it, etc.  It just seems to make
good sense that everybody will comprehend a topic better if they can
receive it through more than just one sense.  Of course, as one consultant
put it, if they can't get into the museum from the parking lot, what you do
inside doesn't make much difference!

One reference that may be useful in this regard is Carol Hunter's recent
"Everybody's Nature."

Best wishes,
Tom

Tom Vaughan                    \_   Cultural
The Waggin' Tongue             \_    Resource
[log in to unmask]             \_     Management,
[log in to unmask]               \_       Interpretation,
11795 County Road 39.2                \_       Planning, &
Mancos, CO 81328 USA                    \_       Training