From:
Melissa Heaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:16:46 -0500
For a project we are doing for the National Trust's 20+ sites, I am looking
for copies of long-range collections plans that both historic sites and art
museums may have prepared that they would be willing to share with me.

Collections plans are usually part of a master plan or overall institutional
long-range plan. However, because the Trust has a number of sites that it
oversees, we are looking for examples of more specific plans that we can use
as models, that might address of the following:

        -evaluation of collections in terms of:
                1-conservation
                2-care
                3-storage
                4-cataloguing/inventory needs
        -staffing - current and future needs
        -development of collections policies
        -development of plans to cover:
                1-disaster preparedness and planning
                2-cataloguing needs
        -physical plant requirements
                1-storage
                2-computerization
                3-office space
                4-work/exhibit prep areas
        -comprehensive reports on:
                1-CAP
                2-MAP I & II
                3- specialized conservation surveys
                4-accreditation self study

We will be using such a long-range plan to help us with fund raising needs,
but also to help assess what it is that needs to be done, and how we can
accomplish this. I am looking to eventually prepare an over-all collections
plan that will serve as an umbrella document for our current 20 sites and
others that we are adding.

Melissa M. Heaver
Director-Museum Collections
National Trust for Historic Preservation
202-588-6148
202-588-6232 (f)

Museum-L" (without the quotes).