From:
Dane Pollei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:28:01 -0400
-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Elizabeth Appleby
Subject: Fire Suppression Systems

Dear List-

Our Museum/Library/Archive is about to undergo a multi-million dollar
renovation and one of the things they are wanting to do is to install a dry
pipe (water is not in the pipes until the emergency occurs--supposedly)
fire suppression system in the collection storage areas.
_________________________________________________________-

Elizabeth,

Wet pipe systems are often now preferred to the dry or pre-action systems.  For a variety of reasons, the dry systems can be more prone to leaks than the wet systems due to corrosive bacteria in some water supplies.

If you would like more information, or would like some of the horror stories of a dry system in a building that has both a wet and dry system, e-mail me off list.

Dane F. Pollei
Executive Director
Brevard Museum of Art and Science
P.O. Box 360835