From:
Robin Panza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 10:23:51 -5
In article <[log in to unmask]>, David Haberstich
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> their own. What SHOULD happen when ANYONE enters a place of business,
> someone else's home, or a "cultural" center like a museum with which
> they are not familiar is that they should take the trouble to learn the
> prevailing customs and rules and treat people and objects with respect.

I have to agree with David's assessment.  Our department office is on a public
hallway.  The door is labelled
                Section of Birds
                   Office
and our door is opened at least once a day by people wanting a look (at real
"scientists", I assume).  I would never open a closed door in any business,
unless I was confident that I was supposed to be in that room.  Even then, I'd
knock.  That's the way I was raised.  I have trouble with the idea that one can
"make oneself at home" anywhere one goes, without invitation.

I agree with David that this is part of an overall attitude, like dropping
cigarettes and trash on the street.  The street is not your private property--
how dare you dump your garbage on what is just as much my property as yours!
Yet mine seems to be the minority opinion, these days.

What troubles me most, however, is that I disagree with David on his opening.
The people who disregard the established culture are simply causing the culture
to evolve to theirs.  As their point of view becomes common (as it has), the
culture becomes theirs, and those of us who respect others' property are the
outsiders failing to adapt to the common culture.

Robin Panza
Section of Birds, Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh  PA  USA